Q1. The workers underwent training. They become more productive.
Answer: Having undergone training, the worker become more productive.
1. After 'Having', you need a participle. The participle for underwent is 'undergone'!
Q2. He received great honour. He saved the president's life.
Answer: Having saved the president's life, he received great honour.
1. 1. After 'Having', you need a participle. The participle for saved is 'saved'!
Q3. The pizza chef is able to make delicious pizzas. She uses ingredients that are fresh from Italy.
Answer: Using ingredients that are fresh from Italy, the pizza chef is able to make delicious pizzas.
1. Do not change the tense. Follow the stem.
2. 'pizzas', not 'pizza' (Careless transfer errors) Which chef only makes one pizza? Anyway, you need to add a determiner if it is a singular pizza (eg. a pizza, the pizza)
3. Some of you left out the word 'fresh'. (Careless!)
Q4. The children hiked through a forest in Seletar Reservoir. They were all exhausted.
Answer: Hiking through a forest in Seletar Reservoir, the children were all exhausted.
Q5. Alvin believed he could not achieve the result. He gave up.
Answer: Believing that the result could not be achieved (by him), Alvin gave up.
Believing that the result was not achievable (by him), Alvin gave up.
1. 'Alvin' must be in your answer.
2. Do not change the tense. Follow the stem.
3. I hope we do not have any Alvin in 6-8. Giving up is never in the fighter's mind! 8325, don't forget the magic number...
Q6. He is diligent. He will do extremely well in the examinations.
Answer: Owing to (his) diligence, he will do extremely well in the examinations.
1. There is a typo mistake. Spot it.
2. You need a noun phrase after 'Owing to'. The noun form for diligent is 'diligence.
3. Do not change the tense. Follow the stem.
Q7. It is very exhausting to swim five laps in the pool continuously.
Answer: Swimming five laps in the pool continuously is very exhausting.
Q8. To improve your language skills, read a book every night.
Answer: Reading a book every night improves your language skills.
Reading a book every night will / can improve your language skills.
Q9. There are advantages and disadvantages of being self-employed.
Answer: Being self-employed has (its) advantages and disadvantages.
1. The subject is 'being self-employed'. This is a singular subject. The verb should be 'has', not 'have'.
Q10. I practised the music piece many times. I could play it from memory now.
Answer: Having practised the music piece many times, I could play it from memory now.
1. 1. After 'Having', you need a participle. The participle for practised is 'practised'!
2. I find the stem a bit weird. Let's improve on it.
Q11. I drank a glass of water. I was thirsty.
Answer: Feeling thirsty, I drank a glass of water.